You're right. Things aren't looking up if I laughed at them. Oh the guilt, the sorrow...the entertainment ^_^
* Keep in mind: the road will be difficult and he won't ask directions.
1. Be honest. While being honest to your mate is very important, to the point of being paramount, it is equally important that you be honest to yourself, and unfortunately enough since you don't cheat on yourself knowingly this advice doesn't mean anything. And, yes, in a mature relationship, honesty is the best policy, as long as your significant other too is honest to himself, and we all know it is pretty hard to expect from anyone as we stated before in the previous sentence.
2. Have a positive attitude. If everything you say around him is a criticism or an attack, he will not look forward to seeing you: remember people don't want you to be honest with their shortcomings, so please scrap the first advice. Tactfulness is a better strategy in mature relationships.
3. However, you don't always have to agree with him just because she/he is your boyfriend/girlfriend. Don't be predictable Tammy Wynette spin off. Invent silly, irrelevant non-issues to differ without offending him. Remember, sincerity and honesty loses its charm quick Have a sense of humor. Have inside jokes together (no small penis jokes). These jokes will later surface when you hate each other, and will make any situation premeditated. Be spontaneous, but be cautious in your spontaneity. Be happy, at least while you can be happy.
4. Communicate regularly. Make sure that if you have any problems that will affect your mood, he is made aware of the reasons for your problems and mood.
5. Make your desires, needs, and opinions known, even when they may conflict with his.
6. Acting like you exist solely to please him will get you no respect and may even make him bored with your company. And you don't want to be boring: you want to be entertaining.
7. Showing that you are your own person with your own needs, desires, and approach to life might keep him interested in getting to know and understand you as a person. But it doesn't guarantee that it will. We're all trying, few of us succeed.
8. Be consistent. What exasperates men most in a relationship is having to go back and forth between moods, and having to tolerate irrationality. Such as being honest first, then being tactful next. Such as having the desire to talk issues first, then shutting the hell up. If you want to be consistent, make sure it's compatible with his/her desires. If you're consistently annoying, they won't have none of that.
9. Be patient. Don't automatically think he didn't hear you when you said something. Remember: maybe he was preoccupied. Don't jump to conclusions, and don't be bitchy about being ignored all the time. Remember, they might be trying to be consistent with their egocentricism. If this is that case, maybe you dont want this man for your boyfriend.
10. Accept the differences you have and learn to love them.
11. Take an interest in his interests. Even though it would help your relationship a lot, you don't -always- have to act like you love football, Nascar and his secret stash of gay porn. At least try to understand why he's such a fan. Take an interest in his disinterests, too. He might be disinterested in what you like, so at least try to understand why he is not interested and respect it like the relationship saving, selfless person you are. If you can't find any understanding in your heart, just dump the fool.
12. Don't forget: it's better to give than to receive, at least for him. The major religions got this right, and for a good reason: they are the opium of the masses, and so not too mysteriously, you gain more in the long run by giving than by getting. While love isn't all you need, it's the most important thing, at least for you. Buy him simple, unexpected gifts for no special reason once in a while, and don't expect anything in return. This is what the great religions always did after they ransacked the other major religions territory, so it must be right. The thought is always appreciated and it makes the guy feel as if you really do care and love him, which of course might be something he doesn't necessarily care about. But still feels good to think that he does. Some good gift ideas could be a new music CD he's been dying to get (which you might dread to listen when you're together. But remember you should at least understand why he likes that shit.), a book or something else that he'll really like and will be surprised by and throw away when you're not looking. Remember, guys like to be surprised with little gifts too, and since most of the time you have no clue what they like they will be bad surprises. Therefore keeping it small helps both parties.
13. Let him live his life. In order to to do that, you should accept the fact that you have none other than his. If you feel entitled to all of his time and attention, learn how to not be an obsessive girlfriend, there are more suggestions for selfless, giving women who are willing to satisfy at all costs. Remember that he doesn't need you for everything and that you are separate people as well as a couple. When he needs some space, don't take it personally.
14. At the same time, make sure you have space as well, but if you follow the above advice you'll hardly ever have any. Don't stop spending time with your girlfriends, they are necessary as to provide shoulders to cry on when you feel like your relationship is slipping away. If you and the boyfriend break up, they will still be there to say "we're here for you", so don't neglect them. Plus, spending some time apart will make him that much more glad to see you when you DO get together.
* Keep in mind: the road will be difficult and he won't ask directions. As in any healthy relationship, you will have your share of conflicts, some tiny, some big. Of course, with your girlfriends in secret. Remember to be true to yourself, and try to abandon any significant selfishness. And when you're at it abandon yourself too, since it is obvious that the self causes the other problems. A relationship is a matter of team work and is a symbiotic relationship, not a parasitic one where a party gives and the other one just takes without giving enough back. Of course this is what the major religions didn't get right, so it's just empty rhetoric. You should follow the major religions.
* Dress sexy once in a while. Dress sexy and see who doesn't care about it. Don't do this too often but surprise him now and then with a hot outfit, which you buy with your own money. Nothing pumps a man's ego more than knowing that he's got a pretty girl by his side.
* Avoid having a "one track" relationship in which the bond revolves around one thing, of course his whims and ego pumping excluded. Keep your relationship strong by bringing variety and diversity into the relationship, introducing your girlfriends would help a lot. Try different and new things together. Relationships are about having fun together, learning together and growing together, and suffering individually.
* Don't conduct "secret tests" on your boyfriend to see what he'll do. Not that they'll catch you or anything. It's humiliating, disrespectful and unfair, and you don't want to do that to him, since you're reading these suggestions you want to do that to yourself.
* It's fine to share things with your girlfriends when talking about him, but remember to be respectful of him by not sharing things that are embarrassing, confidential or rude. Meaning: no penis jokes. No. Never. Not that one time when he wept like a sissy. And the times that end up before you say two Mississippi. You should mention their sexual prowess and such. It is encouraged. Also, it is wise advice to not bring others into your relationship, unless it's a threesome. You can keep your girlfriends "updated" on stuff, but keep them from getting involved in your relationship (unless abuse or other dangerous activities are taking place, which are never your fault.).
* How to Not Be an Obsessive Girlfriend
* How to Have a Healthy Relationship
* How to Tame a Free Spirit
* How to Get a Guy to Like You
* How to Build Self Confidence
Where in time is LJJ?: http://www.wikihow.com/Be-a-Good-Girlfriend